Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Journal Entry #2: March 23, 1500 (Islands)




March 23, 1500

We landed on a few islands over the last two arduous weeks of travel. After landing on the islands so aptly named the Cape Verde islands, we set sail due southwest to imitate the route previously traveled by my great predecessor in exploration, Vasco de Gama. It is too sad that his voyage will not be near as profitable as mine. But that is how the world works, don't you think? One breaks open the vault that is India, and those who come after reap the rewards stored within the vault. I will be the latter, reaping what Vasco de Gama sowed.

We now harbour at an island, at Port Seguro. This new land, foreign to me... I belieive it lies east of that line, the line of Demarcation. That darned line, seperating the lands which we should have rightful claim to! I name it thus the Island of Vera Cruz. I erected a cross and held religious services to mark the land in the name of the Church.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am doing a project and I need to act like Pedro Cabral and write a journal that is told by me AKA Pedro Cabral. I meant to ask where I can find your resources? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete