Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Journal Entry #7 June 23, 1501 (Return to Lisbon, Portugal.)




It's hard to say that my journey was a success, considering their were only five survivors, inclusive of myself. But we did scout new trade routes, however little success we may have had. We brought back a cargo full of pepper on my ship, which is worth a bundle. Technichally, the expedition was a financial success. But the consideration that it is a financial success does not take into account the value of human life, the many who died upon the journey, especially my good subcommander, Bartolemeu Dias. The maps and charts supplied by him and Vasco De Gama were invaluable to our success. I am tired and weary, doubtful that I will be ever able to make such a voyage again. But I am glad I was able to explore just one part of the unknown ocean and land that we inhabit. I am just happy to be home, safely in Lisbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment