Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Journal Entry #3 -May 3, 1500-, (To the Cape.) (and later in the month)



May 3, 1500

The day we set sail from the island of Vera Cruz, which was anointed in the name of Portugal under the churches watchful eye, the cross. We headed towards the Cape of Good Hope, previously found by Bartolomeu Dias, whom happens to be serving as the sub-commander on my expedition. I am wary of what we will find past the Cape of Good Hope, considering the entrance into increasingly foreign territory. I thank every day we survive this voyage, especially in that King Manuel was willing to finance this fleets business across the great waters. But.. I also believe that private enterprises will need to be paid their due, for they invested in us too.

Later in the month>>>

I am saddened to share this news in my journal, but it must survive on in history. 4 Ships of the armada of ships that I have commanded and tooken about the Cape have been lost. Those ships held many a seamen and coin. More grievously then that, my subcommander Bartolomeu Dias was lost with them. We are still a great fleet of nine, but we have been cut down by the storms that ravage the cape... I will make sure that we succeed despite this setback.

No comments:

Post a Comment