Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Journal Entry #6: September 13th, 1500 (and ensueing days.)




We arrived in Calicut, India on the 13th, year 1500. I brought my translators upon my first landing, so we could get right to business and so that I could understand their language. They did not take well to the fact that my translators were of a low-caste. They were dishonored by this, and trade has not gone as well as we could have hoped. Over a time period of ten weeks since then, I have had ill luck with trade. In fact, I've only secured cargo for two of my ships, a cargo full of pepper. I went this far for barely anything and the Arab ships got preferential treatment, I swear. I rashly decided to seize their ship for these reasons.

Soon after, a Calicut mob seized the trading factory and murdered around forty portugeuse. I could not have that under -my- eye. We destroyed several foreign ships along with killing six hundred of their men and bombarding Calicut. To escape that struggle, we sailed for Cochin, a major rival port of Calicut. We would have had better luck there, but in the distance, eighty foreign vessels sailed after us, so I mused that it would be best to leave while we could,

No comments:

Post a Comment